mBay.es - what is it?
mBay.es is charitable auction website just for the local community in Mallorca. The idea is based on a few simple principles:
- We all have far too much 'stuff'. It's tucked away in boxes, cupboards, drawers, garages and goodness knows where else. Most of it has not seen the light of day for quite a while.
- Surprising as it so often seems, one person's junk is another person's handy and highly attractive item.
- Finally, a few people doing an enormous amount of work will never beat a multitude - all doing a little bit. The idea goes back 2,000 years to the parable of the loaves and fishes of Galilee. It's as true today as it was then.
Put these together, and you get the essence of the mBay's idea. If we all convert our unwanted, never-used 'stuff' into small amounts of income and then pledge a small proportion of that unexpected benefit as a donation to a local charity - everybody benefits:
- The seller gets more space and some extra cash.
- The successful buyer gets what they want - frequently at a bargain price.
- Our local charities get a whole bunch of desperately needed small donations.
mBay's is 100% non-profit
- Development and maintenance of the website done entirely by volunteers
- Hosting and traffic costs covered without charge to users or the charities
- Day to day administration - all handled by volunteers for free.
All running facilities are provided entirely free of any charge. mBay derives no profit whatsoever. We get nothing except the considerable satisfaction we are providing a service to the local community while helping out a little those less fortunate than ourselves. We will continue to 'keep the show on the road' without any charge for as long as it is beneficial to our community and to the local needy and charities we support. Having said that, we must admit if anyone wants to make a small donation to the website upkeep, so far we've never turned them down ;)
Who can use mBay.es?
Anybody who is resident or staying on the island for at least a month or two is welcome to use mBay. In principle, we are obliged to keep it just to the island of Mallorca for the sole reason of logistics - moving items from the seller to winning-bidder. If any more widely dispersed sellers and bidders can work out a system between themselves for their payments and deliveries, well - that's okay with us.